How do I get a replacement Medicare Card?

Replacing your Medicare card if it is lost, stolen, or damaged

Your Medicare card is proof of your Medicare insurance. If your Medicare card was lost, stolen, or destroyed, you can ask for a replacement by using your online my Social Securityaccount.


If don’t already have an account, you can create one online. Go to Sign In or Create an Account.

Once you are logged in to your account, select the "Replacement Documents" tab.  Then select “Mail my replacement Medicare Card.”

Your Medicare card will arrive in the mail in about 30 days at the address on file with Social Security.

If you can’t or prefer not to use the online service:

  • Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.; or
  • Contact your local Social Security office. locator link:

Note: If you get Medicare health or drug benefits from a Medicare Advantage Plan such as an HMO, PPO, or PDP, you need to call your plan to get your plan card replaced. If you get Medicare through the Railroad Retirement Board, call the Railroad Retirement Board Help Line at 877-772-5772 to order a replacement Medicare card.

If your Medicare card has been lost or stolen, watch out for Medicare fraud. Check your Medicare Summary Notice (MSN) for services you did not receive and, if you spot any, call the Inspector General’s fraud hotline at 800-HHS-TIPS (800-447-8477).

For more information on Social Security visit:


Medicare Insurance
New York