Learn about the current prescription medication abuse and diversion problem in CT and throughout the US
March 31, 2017
9:30 am – 12:30 pm
Norwalk City Hall (Community Room)
125 East Avenue (Exit 16 off of I-95)
Norwalk, CT 06851
Free to healthcare professionals and other concerned community groups.
The presentation is appropriate for all community members, including school personnel and parents.
Are we ignoring an escalating benzodiazepine epidemic amongst adolescents and young adults? Deaths from benzodiazepines overdose have grown at a faster rate than deaths by opiate overdose for the past 13 years.
DEFINITION OF BENZODIAZEPINES
Benzodiazepines pills primarily used for treatment of anxiety; a controlled substance; some of the more well-known benzos are Xanax, Valium, Ativan, and Klonopin
J. Craig Allen MD, Medical Director, Rushford
John Hamilton, LMFT. LADC, CAC-E CEO Recovery Network of Programs
The workshop will focus on ways to reduce illegitimate access to prescription medications by adolescents and young adults, while maintaining appropriate use.
- The signs and symptoms of overdose
- The potential adverse consequences of prescription drug use by persons whom they are not prescribed
- Why Benzodiazepines are so widely abused
- How to safeguard medications and safely dispose of medications
- The difference between Benzodiazepines and Opioids
- Treatment and recovery options for those with an opioid disorder
9:30 am - 10 am
Sign in and check out resource tables
10 am – NOON
Presentation from John Hamilton, CEO of Recovery Network of Programs and Craig Allen MD, Medical Director of Rushford.
NOON – 12:30 pm
Questions, discussion and check out resource tables
Presentation packets will be provided.
Register online at
Contact Giovanna Pisani
203-849-111 ext. 3006
CEUs ARE AVAILABLE
*CEUs are provided from CCB and CT-NASW. (LMSW, LCSW, LMFT)
There is a $10 per person fee for those wishing to receive CEUs.
Make payment to:
CT Prevention Network
60 Stony Hill Road
Bathel, CT 06681
SPONSORS OF THIS EVENT
- Connecticut Prevention Network
- NPW – National Prevention Weel May 14 – 30, 2017
- Human Services Council
Photo from Connection Prevention Network